Where are they
I have reports from these sites, and they occur more often in Craigslist, but make no mistake they are everywhere.
- Plenty of Fish
Here is what this scam looks like
- Sends and email to contact him or her, without answering or referring to anything in your response.
- You receive an email from a different address than you were sent originally
- This is temporary email/service that changes often. Craigslist, and email services (Yahoo and Gmail) recognize when an email is being used too often.
- This is to get you in to the robot email address
- Can’t wait to meet you, have never done this before
- Sends you to another site
These sites pop up and get abandoned often. Its a game of whack-a-mole. That’s why many of the posts seem to be repetitive. Creating a new post helps search engines find this site, and that helps people find the scam. Know that if you are directed to any site to meet up with your “date”, there is a 99.999999999% chance of it being one of the scam dating sites.
What is behind it
- A redirect – what you are typing is being directed to a different site without you knowing it
- A risky website with no security measures, regardless of what they advertise
- Your email, name, and credit card is transmitted in the open
- A white label dating, or a white label porn site with an expensive monthly subscription
Never under any circumstances provide a credit card, or any sort of payment when being asked to verify yourself.